Tennessee Breastfeeding Symposium 2021
Providers caring for pregnant and lactating women and their infants including Nurses, APRNs, Physicians, (Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Neonatology) Physician Assistants, IBCLCs (Lactation Consultants), Lactation support providers (CLC, CLS, CLE), Doulas, Midwives, Dietitians, WIC Peer Counselors, Health Department Staff.
The outcomes for the Tennessee Breastfeeding Symposium are:
- Identify ways to bridge the gap among healthcare providers, birth workers, and other lactation support providers to improve perinatal outcomes.
- Describe post-pandemic: perils, pitfalls, and lessons learned from the lactation professionals and birth workers.
- Identify ways to strengthening the mother-baby dyad and breastfeeding through innovation and equity.
- Describe current and future innovations to promote and provide human milk in Tennessee.
Tennessee Breastfeeding Symposium, Nashville – June 24-25, 2021
Thursday 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
3:00 pm – 3:15
Tennessee Breastfeeding Coalition Welcome
3:15 – 3:30
Welcome to Nashville – Lisa Piercey, MD, MBA, FAAP, Commissioner Tennessee Department of Health
3:30 – 4:00
The TN Breastfeeding Imperative – Dr. Tobi Amosun, Assistant Commissioner, TN Department of Health
4:00 – 4:30
The “Metro – Spective”: Breastfeeding Support in Nashville - Patricia Brooke Ryne-Dawkins, Breastfeeding Coordinator
4:30 – 5:15
The Politics and Economics of Infant Feeding: From Baby-Friendly to IBCLC – Dr. Flora Ukoli, MD, MPH, IBCLC
5:15 - 5:25
5:30 – 6:30
Keynote Address: Cultural Humility and Care: Overcoming Barriers to Equity in Lactation Support - Brenda Reyes, RN, CLC, Lead Specialist: Peer Lactation Services for HealthConnect One
6:30 – 7:00
Talking to Your Boss About Your Pump: Empowering Pregnant and Nursing Mothers in the Workplace through Legal Support – Kameron Dawson, A Better Balance
-- Day 2 --
9:00 am – 9:30
Breakfast, Exhibits and Networking Opportunities
9:30 – 10:15
The Hospital and Community Connections on Maternal Child Health – Felisha Brooks – Floyd IBCLC
10:15 – 10:45
Mothers’ Milk Bank of Tennessee – Susan Campbell, MD, Executive Director
10:45 – 11:30
Respectful Maternity Care and the Breastfeeding Experience – Amber Price, DNP, CNM, MSN, RN, COO, Centennial Medical Center, HCA Tristar, Nashville, TN.
11:30 – 11:40
11:45 – 12:30
Everyone Wants to Hold the Baby, Who Will Hold the Mother?” (Mental Health) – Jabina Coleman, LSW, IBCLC
12:30 – 1:00
Marijuana & Breastfeeding: A Second Look, A Better Approach – Sekeita Lewis-Johnson, DNP, FNP-BC, IBCLC
1:00 pm – 1:30
Lunch, Twitter Party
1:30 – 2:15
Doctors and Doulas: Working Together for Optimal Care – Dr. Bill Chun, MD, FACOG
2:15 – 2:45
The Burnout is Real: Going Above and Beyond the Call of Duty as a Lactation and BirthWork Professional – Sekeita Lewis-
Johnson, DNP, FNP-BC, IBCLC
2:45 – 3:00
Zumba/Yoga Stretch and Break
3:00 – 3:45
Panel Discussion: Continuity of Care - Elizabeth Buckhanon, BSW, FSS (Shelby County Health Department WIC Peer Counselor), Valerie Lai-Rivera (Montgomery County WIC Peer Counselor), Kristin Mejia (Homeland Heart), Cicely Wilson (Nashville Breastfeeding Coalition Chair), D'Yuanna Allen-Robb (Maternal Child and Adolescent Health Director, Metro Public Health Department - Nashville); Indigo Harris, (Nashville Strong Babies); Donna Jean- Jumeau (Metro Public Health Department - Nashville)
3:45 – 4:00
Roundtable Brainstorming - Moving the Needle Ahead – Shukura Umi, MPH, TNBFC, and BSTARS
GAYLORD OPRYLAND RESORT & CONVENTION CENTER
2800 Opryland Drive
Nashville, Tennessee 37214 USA
- Lisa Piercey, MD, MBA, FAAP, Commissioner Tennessee Department of Health
- Tobi Amosun, MD, FAAP, Assistant Commissioner, TN Department of Health
- Patricia Brooke Ryne-Dawkins, Breastfeeding Coordinator
- Flora Ukoli, MD, MPH, IBCLC
- Brenda Reyes, RN, CLC, Lead Specialist: Peer Lactation Services for HealthConnect One
- Kameron Dawson, JD, A Better Balance
- Felisha Brooks-Floyd BS, IBCLC
- Susan Campbell, MD, IBCLC, Executive Director
- Amber Price, DNP, CNM, MSN, RN, COO, Centennial Medical Center, HCA Tristar, Nashville, TN.
- Jabina Coleman, MSW, LSW, IBCLC
- Sekeita Lewis-Johnson, DNP, RN, IBCLC
- Bill Chun, MD, FACOG
- Elizabeth Buckhanon, BSW, FSS (Shelby County Health Department WIC Peer Counselor)
- Valerie Lai-Rivera (Montgomery County WIC Peer Counselor)
- Kristin Mejia (Homeland Heart)
- Cicely Wilson (Nashville Breastfeeding Coalition Chair)
- D'Yuanna Allen-Robb (Maternal Child and Adolescent Health Director, Metro Public Health Department - Nashville);
- Indigo Harris, (Nashville Strong Babies)
- Donna Jean- Jumeau (Metro Public Health Department - Nashville)
- Shukura Umi, MPH, TN Breastfeeding Coalition, and BSTARS
UTHSC College of Nursing, Memphis is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
In order to receive full contact credit(s) for this NCPD activity, you must:
- Be in attendance for at least 80% of the program, and
- Complete and submit the Evaluation and Verification of Attendance at the conclusion of the program.
A conflict of Interest occurs when an individual has an opportunity to affect educational content about health-care products or services of a commercial interest with which she/he has a financial relationship. The planners and presenters of this NCPD activity have disclosed no relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests pertaining to this activity.
Commercial Support: No
Noncommercial Sponsor Support: No
Off-label Product Use: This NCPD activity does not include any unannounced information about off-label use of a product for a purpose other than that for which it was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- 8.50 ANCC
- 0.00 Attendance
Waiting on list of exhibitors.
Please click on the green "Enroll" button above, the page will refresh and then you will choose the checkbox next to Day 1, Day 2, or you may choose both Day 1 and Day 2 if you are attending both days. After selecting the appropriate checkboxes, you will click the green enroll button again and you will see a confirmation of enrollment for your selected days.
After this and to get started click on the link for whichever day and you will be able to start that day's evaluation.
See screenshot below for a visual aide.